Know If I Need a Permit

  1. Federal Levee
  2. Interior Drainage

Encroachment Permit - Federal Levee System

Before placing material or doing any work whatsoever within the limits of the Cowlitz River or Columbia River levee right-of-way, you must apply for a federal encroachment permit. CDID #1 will coordinate with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers of your behalf to request federal authorization. This includes but is not limited to:

  • CDID ESMT ROW Map (PDF) Opens in new windowAccess ways
  • Construction
  • Demolition
  • Geotechnical borings
  • GradingDeter
  • Land clearing
  • Landscaping
  • Monitoring wells
  • Outfalls
  • Paving
  • Signage
  • Staging
  • Stockpiling
  • Structures of any kind
  • Survey monuments
  • Utilities

Application Process

Step 1

Determine whether your project is located within the federal right-of-way for the Cowlitz or Columbia River levees. View levee right-of-way map (PDF)

Step 2

Contact us for a pre-application meeting and to pre-apply for a Section 408 review. Refer to our Applicant Guide for Section 408 Pre-Application (PDF).

Step 3

Apply Online or download the application (PDF).  Additional project details will be requested as needed. Refer to our Applicant Guide for Section 408 Review (PDF).